Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A True Apocalypse

I do believe though that we as humans will eventually lead to our own apocalyptic fate. As seemingly impossible and unrealistic as they may be, movies like 28 Days (Weeks) Later and even the Resident Evil movies are truly the most probable depictions of what could come. Not because I think the dead will suddenly walk and decide to eat our brains, but simply because they are the results of human interference with gene development. I'm not misinformed about the wonderful advances to our existence that comes from the manipulation of genes, but I am also aware of the risks involved. Changing just one tiny aspect of a gene can turn a good protein into a poison, so whats to say that one misstep wouldn't turn normal, healthy people into primal, apathetic sociopaths? I guess I really just don't have very much faith in the "good intentions" of our society, and not just the United States but the world society.

Does anyone truly doubt that as we, as the human race, are moving closer to the end of our world? I'm not suggesting an end of the world as we see in movies like The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Dawn (Day) of the Dead, or even Zombieland. I do not believe that a random asteroid will plummet to earth creating massive disturbances or that we will experience freak weather patterns that will drop our temperatures until we are frozen mid breath.
 Is anyone really naive enough to believe that anyone else, any "higher" government official is actually looking out for your well being? The government, including every elected official, is simply an employee of a very large, unrestricted business that is in the business of making money and keeping power. I do believe that it was established with initial philanthropic motives, but even then with all the restrictions to it, it was still an elitest establishment. To get into government, one must have money. People with money are not like the majority of us who live paycheck to paycheck, praying that we don't lose our jobs and in turn our homes and cars and ability to feed our families.
 Its funny that preparing for the seemingly unrealistic "zombie" apocalypse is easier than preparing for a life in the real world. I know how to take care of my family in such a "society." I know that should something happen, my husband and I would be able to survive and take care of our own- no matter where we are at the time. I know that I could protect the ones I love and that the "enemy" would be far easier to recognize and fight instead of the confusing and undefeatable corporate policy that truly dictates all aspects of our lives.
I have primary, secondary, and even tertiary plans for what needs to be done in case of some type of massive fall out or government collapse. I just wonder what will happen to the very government dependent people who have no idea how to take care of anything themselves. Without television, computers, repairmen, telephones, and always having someone to cook and deliver food to them. What happens to those people who have never learned how to survive without the joys of electricity, running water, and all the modern conveniences that have crippled us as a people. Honestly, it doesn't bother me to think of this. It doesn't scare me to remember that such an event will determine who is left, who can survive and who carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment