Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Child Rearing Concepts

As the years continue to pass and everyone we know is getting married and raising children, it has become more and more apparent that standards and techniques people use in their child rearing vary greatly! Obviously not having any children myself yet, I can only give my personal opinion and hope that no one feels insulted by these statements.

I have seen parents who have given their children such structure from the very beginning of their childrens' lives and am thoroughly impressed. Their children are polite, responsible, engaging, healthy, and intelligent. Contrary to these people, I have seen parents who enforce no rules or decorum. Children who have never heard the word no, or been required to keep up with chores. I do not understand how people think they are preparing their children for the real world, but then again, look around today and you will realize that most people have no clue about reality even into their twenties and thirties.

I do think parents tend to encourage their daughters to grow up way too fast and don't keep them children/preteens where they belong. When I was growing up there was no way that I was allowed to wear actual make up before high school. My mom did buy me some eye shadow when I was in 6 or 7th grade but it was neutral and really couldn't be seen because it was a tan and taupe color which allowed me to wear "make up" without looking like it. I do understand being allowed to "dress up" for special occasions but I do think girls are expected to grow up way too fast. A and I have discussed how we will raise our children, especially daughters, and we will not be allowing make up early in life, or date before high school (hopefully late high school),  or have a cell phone.

1 comment:

  1. What makes it hard to raise children, especialy daughters, is that other parents are irresponsible/uncaring to the fact which in turn,these other little girls are made to feel as though they are behind their peers. It is very frustrating & unfair for myself to see and hear my daughter speak of(& I see it not only hear it) that these parents give their child an unlimited cell phone, allow them to wear eyeliner and other make up plus purchase clothing that is in no way appropriate for younger then high school age girls. I have no understanding of what goes through their mind. Yes, your child may be innocent and great behaving but what message are you sending to those around her? Are you o.k with her appealing to the opposite sex in a much older age bracket?
    I agree. Let these daughters be little girls. It will never come back once it is gone and will go quick enough. Yes, I would take my daughter to a spa day at 12 or older. I would allow luxury indulgence in that way of pampering but just as it is a luxury occasional thing, women should be teaching these daughters makeup and such is just that. NOT for everyday wear. Just as I should not be wearing brittney spear stage fashion in my 30's, she should not be wearing it in her teens (or ever wear it really but I'll skip that since this is becoming a post reply to your post...)
    The point is, parents are the role model. How can we expect our children to act in a proper manner/responible way if we do not do so ourselves. The famous words "Practice what you preach". (by the way that is in no way aimed at you. I am in agreement and have an issue not knowing how to keep things short. <3 luv ya!

    ReplyDelete