Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Great Week

Today is the first Friday at my new job with Delta. It has been a long week, but I have to admit that I really did enjoy it. I have gotten up between 04-0430 every morning, and have either gotten home after 9pm or around 3-430pm depending on the day. Needless to say after going from work to school on Monday and Wednesday, I was exhausted the next days at work.
 Today was even better because I got to pick up some of my ceramics projects. Some didn't turn out so great, like my trivet/coasters. But its ok, because who really looks at a trivet? You don't even see them underneath the pan.

 I made my dad a popcorn box. While not really practical for actual popcorn use, it is the right side for pens or straws or something else like that. The color didn't really work out as I planned, but I do like the result. I dunked the container in the glaze and it should've dried in a few minutes, but it was still soaking wet an hour later so I sponged off a lot of the wet glaze. This did result in a worn and weathered look rather than a nice, shiny color like you see inside the "g" in Big Al's name.












I also have a cute little bowl on the potter's wheel. I am very proud of this bowl, I didn't think I would be able to make a relatively even, balanced bowl so quickly on the wheel. I love the blue, it is so deep and vibrant. I don't remember what color I used on the bottom but it looks as though there was no color what so ever. Again, it may not have been intended, but I do like the result. I'm not sure what I will do with this, but I am happy with the bowl.
I also threw a small votive. I did add a ton of little holes to allow light through, but the glaze plugged the holes so I am a little disappointed in this. Even using a dremel tool, I couldn't drill through the glaze for fear of breaking the entire thing. I guess I will have to find a new function for this bowl as well. Sad a little bit, but I still like the bowl.

I made a wall art piece that has flowers and leaves. I was completely unaware of the color that I put in, but used it at the suggestion of my instructor. It is a little dark, and you don't get any of the detail that I put into the flowers or leaves, but I do think it turned out pretty. Definitely something I will hang up outside once I have a place to live besides borrowing the space here from my dad. Don't get me wrong, I completely appreciate him letting me stay with him while A is deployed, but I just cannot wait to have our own home and not feel like an over grown child living at home.

My abstract bank- it isn't exactly a work of modern art but I do like it. I love the color- Ginny's Rutile. I'm not sure what you would call the shape, but its my interpretation of abstract,  I guess being something that isn't exactly anything specific makes it abstract.




I am extremely happy with my angry frog bank, although he did lose a foot in the kiln. His foot must have had an air bubble so it split. Luckily it was a smooth break and fit back together perfectly so I just super glued it back together.


I also got my book stack finished. Even though the top book didn't hold the color as I planned it, I still like the coloring. There is only a little bit of red on the top and side of that book, I think it gives it a weathered look. Like it is such a good read that someone couldn't put it down and wore through the leather. I did carve book titles in each spine, but the bottom one was buried under the thicker glaze. I think because you can't see any part of it that it doesn't take away from the book, whereas if you could see the lines but not read it, it would look cheaply done. I did double check the coin slot on the top and it definitely fits quarters and there is a hole for a stopper on the bottom for easy removal of coins.


I also got my originally little piggy who sparked this whole banking habit. I was so worried that he would lose an ear after being glazed since he was cracked a little bit. Luckily the glaze did solidify the head to the ear. I was so happy, I was prepared for my one eared little piggy since cracks tend to spread in the kiln rather than seal by glaze.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the frog! So cute! I'm glad your first week at work went well.

    ReplyDelete