Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I make Bank

So I have come to the point in my ceramics class that I am now working on making piggy banks for my friends and family- since I have already accomplished all of the required assignments we were given at the beginning of the semester.
I have already made 4 banks, which included the original Pig Bank that started this joyful project. My first little bank is a true to form piggy, about the size of a grapefruit. I love, love, love it. Cute little pointy ears and a curly tail.
Bank number 2 (attempt 1 and 2) is for my niece Z, she is a very spirited little girl who, like her mother, has an affinity for nature. I made her a toadstool bank. The first attempt dried to fast so one of the seams held a crack. No matter what I did,  I couldn't get those to heal. So I made a second one, this time I got it to dry slower and so hopefully I wont have that problem again. I am going to add a butterfly today, and I already have a cute little snail at the base. To make it more whimsical, the glazing is going to play the major role. Bright, playful colors to highlight nature. ***Edit: A third attempt will be made on this bank. I woke up this morning to find the entire base cracked- from the floor to the mushroom top. Hopefully third time's a charm***
Bank 3 was for my other niece M. 6th grade going on college graduate. M is a very outgoing, youthful girl with a very quirky attitude. She is also a bookworm, so for her, a stack of books. Each book's title is all about her, nicknames, personality, etc...
Finally Bank 4 is for a my friend N, I've known her for like 7 years. I actually dated her brother in high school, although I think the best thing I got out of that relationship was meeting N and becoming friends. She is a very artsy person; painting, jewelry, ceramics, you name it she can do it. Her choice of style for her bank was something modern or abstract. I love art, but I am not really sure about styles or names of styles of art, so I had to do a google image of both and neither really seemed to give me shapes that would work as a bank, so I made up something. I sent N a picture and she said it looked like a balloon, I thought it looked like a geometry light bulb. I guess we'll see when I glaze it if it really fits the abstract motif that I attempted.

So I am less than halfway through my list of requested banks. I have 2 chickens, 1 frog, 1 club/tree house, 1 brightly colored of my choice, and then 1 Celtic inspired one. I think perhaps today I will work on either the chicken or the frog. My two chickens are going to be completely different sizes. One the size of a gallon of ice cream, the other the size of a grapefruit.
Its been a very crafty semester- I am loving it. Maybe A should deploy more often so  I can spend all my time making things...

No comments:

Post a Comment