Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

For the Love of Ceramics

I am feeling very accomplished lately. I was able to bring home 3 completed ceramic pieces tonight- only 1 of which went directly in the trash. I like the other 2. 

My birdhouse, I love in its entirety. I love the color of the body. Even though the bees didn't come out exactly as I originally intended, I do believe that it turned out very good! I love that it looks weathered and rain stained. I am just very pleased with it.
Piece numbero two, I love the flowers, but the bowl and leaves did not turn out the way I wanted. None of the glaze on the body held so I broke off all the leaves and will grind down what is left. But I really do LOVE the color on the lilies, especially the center one. I think it turned out the best.
I also turned in my frog, books, and abstract banks to be fired to bisque. Yay. Hopefully I will be able to glaze those on Wednesday. I also hope to get to work on the toadstool bank on Wednesday. I have a few methods I will try. My instructor told me to add toilet paper to the clay and let that break down, this will strengthen the clay and help it bind together. I am also attempting to make the toadstool out of thrown clay (on the wheel). I have two pieces that I did tonight, I just hope that I can marry them Wednesday.
Additionally I have 2 chickens, a tree/clubhouse, a UT longhorn, and something brightly colored to do- all in the next 3 weeks since that is when all wet clay has to be turned in so it can be finished by the end of the semester. So what does this mean for me? I have to have something ready to turn in each class period, so I will be working on weekends. The something brightly colored I already have an idea, and am pretty sure I can knock that out this weekend. I have it all figured out in my head and I think it will fit the person very nicely. 
The longhorn and one of the chickens will start with the same basic body, then will be adapted to fit the respective animal. The house... I need my dad to draw me blueprints. Yes- I want legitimate blueprints since I do tend to approach this more from a mechanical aspect than a creative one. Lastly, will be the second chicken. Why is this one last and different than the other? This is for my sister in law, who has requested a large one, and because it is really going to be a prototype for a planter I will try and create this summer for her.
I am not worried if this does not get finished in the 3 weeks I have for this semester since I have no idea when I will be able to get to Ohio to give it to her. Sadly with A gone, it is too long of a drive for me to do alone, and with me starting my job on Monday, I don't know how long I have to be there before I get any vacation time. I am hoping that I can get at least some time off when A is home on his midtour leave, but we already discussed what we will do if I am unable to take time off. I will only work 8 hours a day, and I do get a weekend, plus since I am staying with my dad, we would be getting a hotel room anyways- 2 people do not fit in a twin bed, so we would just pick a place close to the airport so that there won't be much of a commute to and from work.
I must go to bed now though, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get a needle in my elbow. I'll explain that later.
Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment