Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

I have had a lot of time to think lately, and for some reason gun control has occupied quite a bit of that space. Arlington school district is looking into whether teachers should be allowed to carry on campus. Conservatives and student republicans are pushing for the legislation to allow consealed handgun license toting students to be allowed to carry on college campuses.
I am taking a ceramics class that releases at 9pm Mondays and Wednesdays at one of the Tarrant County College campuses and when I left after my first class I was painfully aware of the lack of proper lighting, the abundance of areas for a person to hide or be hidden in, and the small amount of people actually on campus at such a late hour. I immediately formed multiple scenarios of what an unfriendly perseon could accomplish should they choose to do so, and my first defensive thought was how I wished I could have my pistol with me.
I know I'm not exactly the ideal mugging victim, I'm tall, usually wearing a large coat making me appear larger/possibly stronger than I really am, and I actively pay attention to my surroundings rather than looking down/at my phone. Additionally I do not carry anything of real value with me to class I lock my valuables up and only have my wedding ring, phone, and car keys.
I do consider many scenarios for randomly, slightly improbable events that have no logical standard unless perhaps Mars, Venus, Pluto, and Staturn aline under the Second Star to the Right and Peter Pan was lost in Vegas, but I like having a plan. It makes it easier to deal with alternative, more realistic events.
I have decided that since when I blog at night when I cannot sleep I tend to jump all over the place, so I will just start writing my thoughts during the day as they occur then add them later when I can organize them better.

2 comments:

  1. I had this conversation with my classic mythology class about two years ago after Virginia Tech, and my teacher said that he would honestly quit his job if they allowed students to carry guns on the basis that he felt he would be in danger of handing out bad grades.
    I tend to agree with him, but I am like you in that when I go walking out at night I seem to notice the lack of lighting, the lack of personal protection, my surroundings etc...
    However, I am still of the opinion that carrying guns to school won't solve the problem, it only makes it easier for people with evil intent to cause havoc at school...
    I also think schools should invest more into cameras and lighting...

    just some thoughts =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a middle ground. I completely understand both sides of the argument. It is not hard to get a CHL, yet some of us rational beings feel the need at certain points to have it.

    ReplyDelete